Thursday, May 31, 2007

Dream - Laid off at work

Normally, I work from home, but I have a local office that I occasionally go into. My boss & his boss live in other cities. Local HR called me into the office to let me know that I was being "downsized". They told me that the following Friday would be my last day. That Friday, I went into the office to clear out my things and saw my boss's boss in the building. He said "hi" as he passed me in the hall, as if nothing was wrong. I walked up to him and said, "you do realize that today is my last day, don't you?". To which he replied, "Oh, where is your new job?". I was shocked by his thinking that I had quit. I said, "I don't know. I was terminated. It was not my decision." Boy was he pissed. Apparently HR had done this without notifying him. Later that day, I got called into a meeting with HR. They explained that they'd been told my systems would be outsourced so they didn't think they'd need me. But, these were systems that I'd created before I got my current job. It was all a mix up. HR always seems to have a way to screw up everything. I got to keep my job. But I remained very upset with the company as a whole.

No comments: